Saturday, February 21, 2009

the recipe

When I cook, it is usually the same rotation (pork chops, spaghetti, tacos/tostadas, and steak). However, sometimes I want to try something different so I look for a recipe. Now, I could deviate from the recipe but I am not guaranteed the same results. To perfect the dish I may have to repeat the recipe multiple times. I might even get tired of eating the same dish over and over... This is what it is like to design with a brand standards manual.

I have been doing an internship/work study with HCC which happens to be right next door from the HTV office. I have been there for 3 weeks now. I have made 3 brochures, 2 flyers, and a poster. Now dont get me wrong, I am not saying that the brand standard is a bad thing. I think every organization should have some kind of cohesive look and that is exactly what HCC is doing.

I love to cook, so perfecting a dish is an enjoyable experience. I am very pleased working here as this is basically production. The print collateral has templates and is plug and play. What I enjoy most is having the opportunity to perfect my typography. I have been asked by several people if I would consider working there and the answer is emphatically yes. I know that whatever I do in graphic design, I will start with production and have to work my way up the ladder. I dont mind at all.

One thing that does bother me is the confusion I have with what I have learned in class and what I am being told to do at work. I have a person that tells me not to use the glyphs pallette in InDesign to make ellipsis and don't use the templates that are in the brand standard. I just follow the instructions my boss gives me.

Best assignment of the week: HCC uses a company called jupiter images unlimited to get their stock photography. So, my boss asked me to look up male models for the fashion design school at HCC. Just because you are male and striking a pose DOES NOT mean that you are a male model! I laughed so hard I cried. I also saw some cute guys, but not any of these! This is a sample of the many images that come up.

No comments:

Post a Comment