Sunday, February 1, 2009

RDA serving up more gourmet talent

This past Wednesday the RDA showcased yet another amazing graphic designer. Andy Altman of why not associates in London came to our fair city and lectured on what his company has been up to. One of the pieces he showed us was commissioned by Nike for retail stores on the theme of Heroism in sports. The work is inspiring and phenomenal. After the lecture I went up to him and told him that the piece touched me, and that it brought me to tears. He asked me why?


The typography in the videos is thus:

All great heroes think alike.
I believe it is the nature of people to be heroes.
Self trust is the essence of heroism.
Calculation never mad a hero.
Heroism is... enduring one moment more.
We can't all be heroes because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.

This was very poignant to me. Even though it was about sports, the video made me realize that I am very hard on myself and I have trouble allowing my work to be less than perfect. I don't trust my creative judgment and I expect too much. Right now I can allow myself to "sit on the curb and clap" as the graphic design heroes go by and be happy and content to learn from them; all the while paying my dues and growing as a graphic designer. Or I can be miserable and try to be something that requires the talent that only comes with experience. It was very humbling to watch. But, it was also very hopeful. If that makes any sense.

Tomorrow I begin my internship with HTV. It is unpaid but I think it will be okay. They need new collateral and various items (business cards, etc...). I got a new laptop this weekend and I can't wait to begin my internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment